[SWLUG] xwininfo

Dick Porter dick at acm.org
Thu Mar 25 09:51:52 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-24 at 21:34, bascule wrote:
> is this command a way to log in in from another machine and close window, i
> tried to use it the other day when my desktop froze but i couldn't get beyond
> the usage info

xwininfo needs either the ID (or name) of the window in question, or
access to the X server so you can pick the window to query.  It will
tell you interesting details such as the window's position, size and
colourmap.

The command you want is xkill, which also needs the window ID (or access
to the X server.)

You can get the window IDs with xlsclients -l.

- Dick