[SWLUG] How can I run X apps as root?

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Thu Mar 25 14:50:59 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 11:22, Mark Summerfield wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Whenever I try to run gvim as root I get this:
>
> $ vi
> Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
> E233: cannot open displayXlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
> Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
> Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
> Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
>
> Is there some simple thing I can do to change this? (I'm using
> Debian/stable with KDE.) If the answer is RTFM then which man page?

You can either try disabling X security before you do the su, eg. by
doing 'xhost +'

or better still, dont use su, use ssh to log you in as root.  ssh will
automatically deal with all the X forwarding and authentication then.

although i must say i havent seen this kind of error in a while, but ive
not looked into wether its the redhat setup or gnome that handles the
authentication differently now.

-J