[SWLUG] Mandrake and ntl Broadband - continued

'o-Dzin Tridral gbve6hk02 at sneakemail.com
Thu Mar 25 22:44:17 UTC 2004

Dear Mandrake-Linux and Swlug people,

Many thanks for your help and advice re ntl broadband and Linux.

Although ntl have said that they don't support Linux I was encouraged
to find that several people on these lists said that they had been
using ntl broadband and Linux with no problem.

This has encouraged me to take the plunge, and the engineer is due on
Tuesday!

One person advised getting a router to provide some measure of
firewalling and MAC address cloning, so I have gone for a Linksys
WRT54G from Broadbandbuyer
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=463
This should also mean that I will be able to extend the internet
connection to various other computers.

I've also been advised that I will have to register the MAC address,
and that I can find this out via the 'ifconfig' command, and go to
https://autoreg.autoregister.net/start.html to register.

If people think it might be useful, I'd happily provide a writeup of
the whole process of setting things up once it is all done.

Meanwhile, just a couple of questions

1. Which address should I register - the computer or the router?
2. As I won't be around when the cable modem is installed, are there
any particular instructions I should leave, or, is there any
information I shopuld ask that the engineer leaves?

Many thanks (again) for your help!

'o-Dzin