[SWLUG] Looking for some old hardware.

Steve Anderson steve at twindx.com
Fri Mar 26 18:17:31 UTC 2004

Dominic Pearson wrote:

> I'm looking for some old hardware to use as a dedicated machine for the
> Asterisk PBX system. Does anyone have any old machines they'd sell? Or does
> anyone know where I can get some old hardware cheaply? I've tried places
> like EBay, but most of the stuff there is either way too expensive or just
> not suitable (An old PII machine with 64mb RAM should be plenty).

I have an old PII machine, but not much to plug into it. All my spare
parts got fried thanks to a power spike taking out my Dad's old PC
(which I didn't realise was damaged beyond repair until it killed
everything else). Otherwise I could've passed some stuff on (this PII is
destined to be an office jukebox).

> If I can't get hold of any suitable old hardware, I'd maybe think of building
> a nice el-cheapo box (I'm on a budget of around 100 quid, so it'd have to be
> something *really* cheap.) Has anyone got any suggestions of where I can get
> parts to build a workable system that cheaply?

I built my Linux box for £125, or thereabouts. The motherboard is a PC
Chips jobby from eBuyer, and has onboard graphics, sound, LAN and a
733MHz VIA C3, all ready to go, for about £25 I think. Sadly I can't
find the boards on their website any more - I wanted to build a budget
cluster! Most expensive part was the hard drive at £60. £25 for the RAM
off a mate and a cheap and nasty case for £15. CD-ROM and floppy were
lying around the house already... So it can be done =)

eBuyer are worth a perusal, they tend to have some nice stuff lurking
around for cheap.

If you fancied splashing out a little more, I've just built a Mini-ITX
media PC for £200. You could knock a sizable chunk off that by not
needing a Nehemiah cored multimedia capable one, less memory and smaller
drive, I'm sure. Have a look at http://www.icp-epia.co.uk.

Steve