[SWLUG] Graphics and Capture on Mandrake 9.1 on Nforce2 Mobo

Julian Hall linux at kaotic.co.uk
Mon May 10 10:56:58 UTC 2004

Hi All,

I'm relatively new to Linux, albeit I've been using and abusing computers
for just shy of 20 years.

I've just got shot of my old Radeon 32Mb AIW card that Linux just did NOT
want to play with, and replaced it with the combination of an Nvidia Geforce
FX 5600 and Pinnacle DC10 for video capture.  Both alleged to work fine with
Linux, and I'm sure this is luser error :)

1.  I downloaded and ran the latest .run file from Nvidia while the Xserver
was shut down.  I was logged in as su -.  Everything *seemed* to go OK.  Now
when I start the system I get an Nvidia splash screen which seems
encouraging.  However when I check the Hardware section of the Mandrake
Control Panel, it says Vendor "Null" and doesn't know what module it is
supposed to be using.  I have edited the XFree86-4 file as instructed to
make the module used "nvidia" and not "nv".

I *think* the problem is that the Nforce2 motherboard also uses a module
with the exact same name.  Aren't the two going to get confused, or one of
them just not install at all?

2.  I have downloaded the correct driver file for the DC10+ card I have and
installed it, again in the shell without X running.  However when I try to
run the command to check if it is working it says it cannot find the card.

Can someone please point a poor newbie in the direction of idiot proof
instructions on where I have gone wrong? :)

Kind regards,

Julian
---