[SWLUG] Fwd: Mandrakelinux NWL: EU Software Patent Legislation: a real threat for Linux and Open Source

Steve Anderson steve at twindx.com
Thu May 13 13:07:23 UTC 2004

Jonathan Wright wrote:

> Not sure if it's genuine, although I received it aswell - it got caught
> in my spam filter (8.4 rating!). Wouldn't surprise me if it was true
> though.

Yep, it's true. It was mentioned on Groklaw a while back. Microsoft are
pulling the Irish strings, obviously. The Irish government probably got
a cool deal on XP upgrades in return for attempting to turn European
Software patents into an even greater farce than the American one. Bet
you there's been no consultation with outside parties at any point
either - just from a Microsoft rep...

Steve