[SWLUG] Bluetooth

Steve Anderson steve at twindx.com
Tue Nov 16 13:17:16 UTC 2004

Hello all.

Anyone got any experience of using Bluetooth with Linux? I've just
dragged myself into the 21st Century by getting a mobile with it, and
I'm wondering how easy it would be to share a network connection over
Bluetooth to it so I can have cheap/fast net access on it. (It's a Sony
Ericsson K700i, just on the off-chance someone knows it!)

I've managed to track down stuff about sharing files and contact info
under Linux, and sharing net connections under OSX and Windows, but I
want my always on Linux box to provide a gateway.

I've had a look at what USB dongles are supported under Linux, and it
seems to be pretty much all of them, so Maplin will get a visit later.

Any input, anyone?

BTW, been trying Ubuntu Linux. It's nice, if you like Gnome 2.8 and
Debian and can cope with their no-root-user paradigm (you sudo all the
time) or can be bothered creating root and chowning things. I did the
latter =)

Steve