[SWLUG] More on Laptops

Julian Hall linux at kaotic.co.uk
Wed Nov 17 17:37:18 UTC 2004

Sony?  Boo hissssss!

Their so-called Computer Technical Support is abyssmal, bordering on the
insulting.  I put Windows 2000 on my Sony Vaio PCG-FX203 (drivers all
obtained from Sony's website).  The modem driver bombed the system when
attemping to use it.  After several attempts I concluded the driver was
faulty (bear in mind I was WORKING as a Senior Tech for an ISP at the time
so I know what I'm doing installing modems and I told them this).  Sony's
repeated answer was a) we don't support Windows 2000; So why in hell do you
have the drivers on your website? I asked; No answer: b)  You must make sure
you are using the right driver and follow the correct procedure;  I've
already TOLD you my job is at least in part INSTALLING MODEMS all day, which
bit of this don't you understand?;  etc etc. (repeat loop until infuriated
and then telephone them to tear them off a strip).  The modem still does not
work with *their* modem driver.  Their whole approach is to blame the
customer if they don't know the answer.

If they're like that with an OS they actually supply drivers for, God help
anyone trying to use Linux who dares to ask them for help.

Go for a make who give real after-sales and don't just take your money and
run.  Hewlett Packard for instance seem to be pretty good, especially seeing
as they look like they've inherited Compaq's good practise in that area.

Cheers,

Julian