[SWLUG] More on Laptops

Philip Downer phil at pjd.me.uk
Wed Nov 17 17:55:21 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-17 at 14:58 +0000, Rhys Sage wrote:
> Of course, I'm wondering whether I should just hold my
> horses and not buy a laptop until I can afford a real
> laptop (something like the Sony Tr1mp).

I wouldn't even consider buying a Sony Laptop, I've heard far too many
horror stories about them from close friends and work colleagues who
have had first hand experience of their laptop range. Theres only 3
manufacturers that I would ever consider buying a laptop from, 1) Dell,
2) IBM, 3) Apple. My current Dell laptop is very nice and I can still
get about 4-6 hours use from the batteries (it takes 2) I've also played
around with a few of the latest models and they are quite nice as well.
The IBM T40 is currently fairly cheap (just under 500 pounds) and is
also very nice. I would however seriously consider buying an Apple the
next time I buy a laptop.

Phil.