[SWLUG] Re: More on Laptops

Julian Hall linux at kaotic.co.uk
Fri Nov 19 13:01:51 UTC 2004

Gareth Bowker wrote:

<snip>

>So the 1100 looks much better. If you can use two batteries on this
>(I've not investigated whether that's possible, mind you) then that'd
>put you close to your 8-hour target quite admirably.
>
>Google, as always, really does know everything :)

Laptop battery life always is a minefield and is *heavily* dependent on
usage of the laptop.  When my laptop was new I could get around 2.5
hours out of the battery on general use.... writing emails and other low
intensity tasks.  However, pop in a DVD and watch it, and the battery
life slips by about an hour because so much juice is taken up driving
the DVD.

So the quoted durations of battery life *really* need to be taken with a
pinch of salt, unless they also include the circumstances and parameters
of the test.   Was that 4 hour test the result of turning off the power
saving and letting it sit with a screen saver for the whole time, or was
it doing something useful?  To get a desired battery duration (like
getting a printer that performs at the advertised speed ;)) you really
need to look at getting something quoted above the target.

Kind regards,

Julian