[SWLUG] Re: Discuss Digest, Vol 3, Issue 13

Rhys Sage rhys_sage at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 19 15:30:27 UTC 2004

>Laptop battery life always is a minefield and is
*heavily* dependent on
>usage of the laptop.  When my laptop was new I could
get around 2.5
>hours out of the battery on general use.... writing
emails and other low
>intensity tasks.  However, pop in a DVD and watch it,
and the battery
>life slips by about an hour because so much juice is
taken up driving
>the DVD.

Now that makes a lot of sense and was something I
hadn't considered. I'd naively assumed that the
manufacturer's quoted times would have been with 10%
CD/DVD usage.

Actually, I'm leaning more toward an ultra-compact
laptop with no CD/DVD and no FDD, just PCMCIA, USB,
LAN , modem and possibly also seriel/paralel. This
probably gets me into the $2,500 laptops. Of these,
I'd probably be happiest with an IBM although I don't
discount anything. I'm thinking also about part
replacements in the future so Acer is out of the
question (despite its cheapness). It looks as though
I'm going to have to save for a while longer. Last
time I bought a laptop, I bought secondhand and having
had that experience I shall buy new in order to get
something worthwhile.

Rhys