[SWLUG] Re: Discuss Digest, Vol 3, Issue 13

Robert McQueen robot101 at debian.org
Sat Nov 20 02:18:27 UTC 2004

Rhys Sage wrote:
> It seems that only the IBM X40 seems suitable. I keep
> coming back to this one although I find it's a bit on
> the big side. I was really looking for something about
> 8 x 6 rather than 10 x 8.
> Interestingly, I contacted IBM as they're supporters
> of Linux but they only sell the X40 with XP installed.

I have an X40, along with several other Debianites and friends at uni -
they're really well supported by Linux (especially Ubuntu which supports
all the hardware out of the box, including ACPI and sleeping). You can
get the X (intel chipset), wireless, bluetooth, ACPI, speedstep, etc all
working with a little proddling, and the battery life is fantastic -
with the extended battery, a good 6-7 hours depending on usage. They're
really lightweight and manage to be small without compromising on the
keyboard - the keys at the sides like shift/tab/ctrl are shrunken, which
in practice makes no odds, but the main keys are a sensible size, so its
actually comfortable to use and type on for long periods, and it has a
correct three mice buttons to go with the nipple. Given that its so well
supported by Linux, and such a mighty fine piece of kit, its a shame
that IBM don't ship it with Linux preinstalled. The only downside is the
price tag, but otherwise I'd thoroughly recommend one - a very nice
purchase.

Regards,
Rob