[SWLUG] USB backup storage devices

'o-Dzin Tridral gbve6hk02 at sneakemail.com
Mon Oct 11 14:55:55 UTC 2004

Dear all,

Firstly thanks to everyone who helped with my queries re NTL, Broadband and Linux.  Everything has worked with no trouble at all.

I've now got another query that I hope you can help with.  Now that my compressed data backups take up three CDs, I'd like to find a backup device of a higher capacity that can manage everything in one go.  I'd like it to be not too expensive, and also to use USB so that I don't have to dismantle the machine and so that I can move it from one machine to another.

I've been wondering about the DVD writers e.g. from LaCie and Iomega, but would appreciate your advice and experience re DVDs, Disk drives, tapes and anything else that might be used for backing up.  About 2Gb capacity would backup data.  60Gb would backup the whole system.

Thank you for any advice.  I'll be happy to post a summary .

'o-Dzin