[SWLUG] laptops

nat nat at nuqe.net
Tue Oct 12 17:10:30 UTC 2004

earlier Gareth Bowker wrote:

>> Good battery duration. Less than 4 hours and there's
>> no advantage in having a laptop as opposed to a desknote.
>
> Given the battery life, the only ones I've found that realistically
> last
> that long are the Apple laptops. I had an iBook which would
> realistically run for 4h45 even after a year. They run Linux quite
> nicely and Ubuntu Linux (amongst others) is well-supported on them.
> Given you're after PCMCIA (what do you need it for? the iBook may have
> it built-in), you'll have to go for a PowerBook, but I believe the
> battery life is just as good on those.

i've had a 15" aluminum powerbook for a while now, battery life seems
to be 2-3hrs if i have the screen set at full brightness and also the
wireless
card running.

there is a useful page at
http://www.girr.org/random_stuff/pb15_battery_life.html

the chap has done tests to show how having various hardware features
enabled affects battery life, brightness, wifi, bluetooth etc.

if your after an x86 based laptop and good battery life then it might be
worth you looking at either a crusoe or celeron based processor, my
tablet pc had a transmeta processor in it - the battery on that could
last around 4-5hrs.

:o)

nat,
--