[SWLUG] laptops

Dafydd Walters dafydd at walters.net
Tue Oct 12 22:01:55 UTC 2004

Phil Downer wrote:
> My Dell lasts for over 7 hours, but it takes 2 batteries, one goes in
> the dvd drive bay, but I can't remember needing the dvd drive since I
> bought it apart from when installing Debian.

I too have a Dell (Inspiron 4000) which I bought about three years ago in
the States, and I can get 6 hours out of the two batteries.  I recently
bought a new keyboard for it from eBay (£16) so it now has a UK layout too.
I've had Red Hat and Mandrake on it, and both work perfectly well. The
graphics controller (from ATI, I think) is even supported in 3D-acceleration
mode by Free Software drivers bundled with X, so Tuxracer works nicely on it
right out of the box (which my kids appreciate).

Dafydd Walters.