[SWLUG] wireless card for linux

Philip Downer phil at pjd.me.uk
Mon Oct 18 19:02:01 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-18 at 04:20 +0100, bascule wrote:
> i'm looking to get a wireless pc card for my laptop - cardbus - there are some
> cheapish deals around but i can't ascertain what chipset these cards have, so
> i'd like to know what cards you might be using

I used to have a Netgear M308 (I think) that worked fine for months in a
PCMCIA adapter in a machine that I set up to act as a Wireless Access
Point, that card used to use the Prism drivers, but I'm not sure about
the newer models.  I then sold it when I bought a 3com 802.11g Access
point that came with a 3com 802.11g pcmcia card. I can't remember what
chipset the 802.11g card uses, but it worked very well giving my laptop
a much better range than it does when I use the interal 802.11b card.

The 3com card is an OfficeConnect card, model 3CRWE154G72.

Basically if you can find a card with a Prism chipset then it should
work fine, I think Linksys cards are based on the Prism chipset as are
D-Link but I cannot guarantee that.

Hope that helps.

Phil.