[SWLUG] New anti-software patents web site

Dafydd Walters dafydd at walters.net
Wed Oct 20 16:12:17 UTC 2004

Warning: This posting might come across as a bit of a rant.

I don't know how many people on the list are aware, but a new web site has
been launched http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com

What I think is really nice about it is that it is aimed at Joe Public, and
uses less jargon and is less technical than the FFII site (which is
excellent and full of facts, but not light reading for the casual browser).

There are some banners on this page which you can use to link to the site
from your own web site if you wish:
http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com/en/m/help/link.html

I hope I'm not out of line posting this message on the list, but my
conscience would be troubled if I thought I was being at all complacent on
this issue, and not spreading the word.  I believe that this is an
incredibly important issue, and one that affects all software developers,
FLOSS or otherwise. From my standpoint, I see the possible legitimisation of
software patents by the EU directive as a direct threat to my very
livelihood.