[SWLUG] Regular Carmarthen meetings

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Mon Oct 25 23:47:24 UTC 2004

On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 02:08:36PM +0100 or thereabouts, Dafydd Walters wrote:

> nat and I have exchanged a couple of emails, and we both think it would be
> a nice idea to start regular meetings in Carmarthen for interested
> SWLUGers. Here's the provisional plan:
>
> Place: Yr Hen Dderwen (Weatherspoon's) on King Street
> Date: Every first Thursday of the month, starting in November
> Time: 7PM onwards
>
> Being on Thursday, these should never clash with Swansea or Cardiff
> meetings.
>
> Perhaps we could try this and see how it goes. Any objections?

None at all. But to save people further east from getting all excited,
here's what the train and coach timetables say:

http://www.gobycoach.com/
Wait for redirect.
Tell it you want a return from Swansea to Carmarthen, both to be "pm".
Wait for response.
Boggle at response:

  Select an outward journey [...]
  Displaying afternoon journeys only.   There are no morning journeys.

  Select a return journey [...]
  Displaying morning journeys only.   There are no afternoon journeys.

Clearly the coaches are taking the piss. Opt for train.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/planmyjourney/

Tell it you want a return from Swansea to Carmarthen, departing around
17:00 and returning around 23:00. Wait for "make a cup of tea" logo.
(What _is_ that thing?) Observe results.

Two plausible trains to get there in good time. Whee. Return journey:
Friday 5th November. Depart: 02:41. Arrive: 03:21. Oh.

I have the nasty feeling this is the 0330 to Paddington, so falling
asleep until the end of the line is not a good plan. (If it's not
the Paddington train, what is it? The milk run?)

Oh yes. The prior train for return? The 21:34 from Carmarthen.

Ga i lifft gyda rhywun, os gwelwch chi'n dda? :)

Telsa