[SWLUG] screen dumps

Peter Bradley apvx95 at dsl.pipex.com
Wed Sep 1 20:16:37 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 20:38, Adam Rykala wrote:
> On Wednesday 01 Sep 2004 8:23 pm, Peter Bradley wrote:
> > I know this is a really stupid question, but how do you do a screen dump
> > in Linux?  I need to get some screen dumps into an OOo.org document to
> > send to my MSc tutor.
> >

> In KDE there's KSnapshot, but in a terminal do
>
> /usr/X11R6/bin/xwd -root -out /home/<whatever>/screenshot.jpg

Many thanks.  The command line didn't work

peter at linux:~> /usr/X11R6/bin/xwd -root -out /home/peter/screenshot.jpg
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  91 (X_QueryColors)
  Value in failed request:  0x402407fc
  Serial number of failed request:  4378
peter at linux:~> which KSnapshot
peter at linux:~> which ksnapshot
/opt/kde3/bin/ksnapshot
peter at linux:~> ksnapshot

but ksnapshot works beautifully.

Thanks, you've saved my life (or my grades at any rate!)

Cheers

Peter