[SWLUG] brown screen on ubuntu

Gareth Bowker tgb at tgb.org.uk
Mon Apr 4 08:40:26 UTC 2005

On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 01:48:10AM +0100, Rhys Sage wrote:
> I've just installed Ubuntu on a 1.7ghz, 128mb Dell. It
> seems sluggish (as are all the Dells I have
> encountered).

I'd put the sluggishness down to the small amount of RAM for GNOME,
rather than the badge on the front.

> I have a brown screen that doesn't seem to want to
> change to any other colour and all I can see is the
> top and bottom bars. I can use Ubuntu but it won't
> show me any icons on the desktop. What do I do? I'm
> downloading Knoppix at the moment just in case today's
> download of ubuntu is a bit stuffed.

First off, which version of Ubuntu? By default, Ubuntu doesn't show any
icons on the desktop, you only get the bars on the top and bottom. If
you want to put icons on the desktop, then you get to put them there
yourself.

The Ubuntu-Users mailing list has a lot of good people on it - if you're
still having problems I suggest you ask on there - there are many more
Ubuntu users on that list who can help than on here.

HTH,

Gareth