[SWLUG] brown screen on ubuntu

Steve Anderson steve at twindx.com
Mon Apr 4 09:32:44 UTC 2005

Rhys Sage wrote:
> I've just installed Ubuntu on a 1.7ghz, 128mb Dell. It
> seems sluggish (as are all the Dells I have
> encountered).

I run Ubuntu 5.04 on a PIII 1GHz Dell with 256Mb of RAM and it's
perfectly fine for me. I've also run it on a 512Mb, 733MHz Via C3 (the
old one - roughly a PIII 450 in real terms) which, whilst not that
speedy, was acceptable.

> I have a brown screen that doesn't seem to want to
> change to any other colour and all I can see is the
> top and bottom bars. I can use Ubuntu but it won't
> show me any icons on the desktop. What do I do? I'm
> downloading Knoppix at the moment just in case today's
> download of ubuntu is a bit stuffed.

If you can use it, it's not stuffed =) Ubuntu doesn't cover your screen
in icons, instead you'll find Home and Computer/File System in the
Places menu, and the trashcan is an applet at the bottom right.

Steve