[SWLUG] brown screen on ubuntu

Philip Downer phil at pjd.me.uk
Mon Apr 4 09:33:32 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 01:48 +0100, Rhys Sage wrote:
> I've just installed Ubuntu on a 1.7ghz, 128mb Dell. It
> seems sluggish (as are all the Dells I have
> encountered).

Try more memory, I run Ubuntu on a 1ghz Dell laptop with 128mb of ram
and that works perfectly fine for my needs but the memory is constantly
about 90% used. 128mb was really too small when I first bought my laptop
but I've just never gotten round to ordering some more memory as it does
what I need it to.

> I have a brown screen that doesn't seem to want to
> change to any other colour and all I can see is the
> top and bottom bars. I can use Ubuntu but it won't
> show me any icons on the desktop. What do I do? I'm
> downloading Knoppix at the moment just in case today's
> download of ubuntu is a bit stuffed.

Ubuntu doesn't have icons on the desktop, what do you need icons for
anyway? I've personally detested desktop icons for ages, it makes it far
too easy to have a very messy desktop.

To change the background colour, go to the 'Computer' menu, then
'Desktop Preferences', then 'Desktop Background'. I recommend setting it
to no wallpaper and then set a vertical gradient and a decent colour for
the background colour.

Phil.