[SWLUG] Re: brown screen on ubuntu

Rhys Sage rhys_sage at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 4 12:21:50 UTC 2005

Ah. Now I didn't realise Ubuntu was supposed to be
like that. It's working just fine now. I was expecting
to see the floppy disk and the CD on the desktop as
well as some other folders and icons instead of a
clean desktop. I'd been expecting it to be a bit like
Mandrake.

It's set up now with a nice photo as the background.

I'm quite happy with the system as it is but the
little lady would like to run Microsoft Money. Is
there anything similar that I can download? I'll be
downloading via an XP PC and porting over via a CDRW.

The system is a little light on memory. Believe it or
not but that puny 128mb was all Dell supplied with the
machine (which originally ran XP Home). The story
behind the machine is that the in-laws had it and then
it went belly-up. They called Dell for weeks about it
and got nowhere. Then they called in the "Geek Squad"
who failed miserably and declared the system to be
completely broken. Sure, XP was broken - half the
system files had vanished. The system works fine under
Ubuntu though. My next quest will be for more memory.
Has anybody any experience of Dell's rambus memory
setup. Is it paired like the old memory or is it just
a case of buy any rambus stick and put it in, in
parallel with the existing memory?