[SWLUG] Ubuntu - the fixings

Gareth Bowker tgb at tgb.org.uk
Mon Apr 4 16:26:32 UTC 2005

[reflowed a little to make things easier to follow]

On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 05:02:43PM +0100, Rhys Sage wrote:
>> I'd try to avoid it if you can. If you can, connect
>> the machine to the
>> internet and then follow the following page to add the
>> Universe
>> repository to Ubuntu:
>> http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/UniversePackages
>> Once you've done that, you should be able to run:
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> At the moment, the system's offline. I intend getting
> it online but not immediately. I tried to enter "sudo
> apt-get install gnucash" in the terminal screen but it
> didn't like it, coming up with an error indicating it
> could not find gnucash.

As I said, you have to do some other things first, like be connected to
the 'net for apt-get to do its thing.

I wrote previously:

>> The "problem" with
>> GNUCash is that it has a *lot* of dependencies (other
>> .deb files that
>> need to be installed alongside it) for it to work -

Just having the .deb won't help, you need its dependencies, as Steve
also explained in his reply. If you really, really, really won't connect
it to the 'net, then you've got a long trek ahead of you.

from a terminal:

sudo dpkg -i whatever-gnucash-file-is-called.deb
(prompts for your password)
(lists missing dependencies)

you now get to go hunting for these dependencies - there are some sites
that'll help you find them, but I don't have their URLs to hand, so
either use google or search manually - packages live under
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ .
Once you've got these, re-run the above dpkg command, this time listing
all the extra files you've downloaded and copied over. You might get
another list of missing files., so repeat this process until it
installs.

I hope you've got a good reason for not connecting it to the 'net though
- this is a lot more hassle than just doing what I originally suggested.

Gareth