[SWLUG] Re: Ubuntu - the fixings

Gareth Bowker tgb at tgb.org.uk
Tue Apr 5 16:33:35 UTC 2005

On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 02:46:11PM +0100, Steve Hill wrote:
> >Although I accept from previous comments on the topic,
> >some banks over here allow other browsers to connect, IIRC Rhys is in the
> >US where Gates is God *ick*
>
> Some?  I've not come across any banks here in the UK which don't work with
> FireFox.  And I've certainly seen many US people on Slashdork saying that
> they use FireFox with their banks...

HSBC Business Banking is broken in Firefox right now. It used to work
(although you had to generate the certificate under Windows/Mac OS X)
but they've since changed something and seem in no particular hurry to
fix it.

> IMHO if a bank _required_ the use of insecure software to access their
> ebanking site then I would be forced to question their entire security
> policy and change bank.

Agreed, although it's more hassle for a company if you've got customers
who do standing orders/random invoice payments into your account.

Gareth