[SWLUG] How do I know if Mod_rewrite is working.

Neil Jones linlist2 at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Thu Apr 7 16:53:40 UTC 2005

I am currently reconfiguring a new server
This is one .htaccess I am using in one directory.
I believe it is a copy of one that used to work on the old server but I cannot
be 100% sure because it was such a blasted bind getting the original to work
I fiddled so much it is difficult ro remember exactly what I did.

RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php?q=$1 [L,QSA]

I have tried this in a separate directory

RewriteEngine on
Options +FollowSymLinks
RewriteRule ^old.html$ new.html

This doesn't direct old.html to new.html

My problem is how to be sure that .htaccess is working and that the problem
isn't in httpd.conf which configures apache.

Can anyone help? I seem to be going around in circles.
Neil Jones- Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk