[SWLUG] Samaritans

Dick Bain dick at towy71.uklinux.net
Thu Apr 21 11:50:43 UTC 2005

Hi peeps
I have a friend who is a Samaritans volunteer and they are having a
debate about going broadband and the vulnerability to trojans spyware
and viruses. As I understand it they use web based email and would also
be  researching things from the  WWW, so they don't need any special
software.
Now I know that there are freeware scanning programs etc., but surely it
would be better if the Open and Free software community could help them
by setting up Linux on their existing systems.
Samaritans are all volunters and do not have necessarily have any
expertise in IT but we do, would it not be a good place to help out and
raise the profile of Linux?
Thoughts please
Dick