[SWLUG] Samaritans

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Thu Apr 21 13:26:29 UTC 2005

On Thu, Apr 21, 2005 at 12:50:43PM +0100 or thereabouts, Dick Bain wrote:
> Hi peeps
> I have a friend who is a Samaritans volunteer and they are having a
> debate about going broadband and the vulnerability to trojans spyware
> and viruses. As I understand it they use web based email and would also
> be  researching things from the  WWW, so they don't need any special
> software.

Is this the "running the charity" side of things, or the "people
can email us instead of ringing us, and we can answer back" side
of things?

> Now I know that there are freeware scanning programs etc., but surely it
> would be better if the Open and Free software community could help them
> by setting up Linux on their existing systems.

And then maintaining them for a period of time after without deleting
their existing files or telling them "Sorry, whoever put this on picked
completely the wrong distro, you'll have to let me change it all,
and why are you using this desktop, you need the other one". And so on.

Which is the tricky bit :)

Telsa