[SWLUG] Samaritans

Julian Hall lists at kaotic.co.uk
Thu Apr 21 14:48:27 UTC 2005

Jonathan Wright wrote:

> For just browsing the web - go linux. I'm sick to death of all of the
> problems through windows and the web. It's a non-stop downhill ride from
> the moment it's installed.
>
> Plus, with Firefox and Thunderbird both cross-platform there shouldn't
> be too much of a problem with it being a new system.

Maybe show them a dual boot system in the first instance.  Windows box
with T'bird and Firefox on it, and when they're used to using that the
switch to Linux would be almost seamless.  It certainly would feel
easier to the non-techie users I should think.

As for a distro, I've just started using Xandros which is Debian based.
I suppose purists won't like what I like about it, that being that the
Xandros File Manager has a very Windows style arrangement for the
drives.  However to wean hardened Windows users away I think it's a
great distro.  Previously I used Mandrake, which while being dead easy
to set-up, didn't look or feel as familiar as Xandros does.

Kind regards,

Julian