[SWLUG] RE: Samaritans

Peter Joseph kneecaps at shockpulse.co.uk
Sun Apr 24 13:57:09 UTC 2005

peter wrote:
> Julian Hall wrote:
>
>> <snip />
>> Ergo they need some mechanism to show them the comparison between the
>> two and a way to smooth the transition.  Dual-boot seems the best way.

I fail to see the point of providing users with a Dual boot environment.
For a start you would have to pointlessly purchase many redundant copies
of windows to actually implement this (what a waste of good money).

Secondly, why is it assumed that the Windows environment is the
'baseline' for comparison. People use unfamilliar systems every day, and
the majority of those who are inclined do manage to use them.

For example, when you buy a new mobile phone, do you have a transition
period from your Nokia style inteface to your Siemens style interface.
You don't, you go from the old to the new and are expected to adapt.

Setup a Linux Ubuntu (whatever) system, firewalls, broadband access etc
etc.

What do they need to do with their system? E-mail, wordprocess, do
presentations, keep records. Stuff any Linux distro can do in its sleep.
Something which any computer user of any sort who can use a mouse and
can click on icons can manage to do on any system/distro whatver.

There is no point whatso ever in introducting people unfamiliar to Linux
desktops to Firefox, Thunderbird, Openoffice etc in a windows
environment. If you can use Outlook, you CAN use Thunderbird, if you can
use IE, you can use Firefox and if you can use MS office you can use
OpenOffice.

Finally, a lot of organisations use esoteric computer systems which are
totally unlike Windows or any other GUI driven environment for that
matter. Take banks for example, they have the system thats best for them
  period and not whats the most similar to another known very popular
operating system.

Just my two pennies worth.

Pete

--

Peter Joseph                                   Debian GNU/Linux Junkie
kneecaps at shockpulse.co.uk                          kneecaps at debian.org