[SWLUG] Cardiff Gentoo Users

Kris Zani kriszani at iscavision.com
Mon Aug 15 10:02:41 UTC 2005

OK have been trying the various suggestions.
USB Mouse.  I saw a debian post on the net where dmesg registered the
fact that a mouse was connected to the usb hub so I assumed that was
standard.  Tried the cat /dev/input/mice command.  No registered input
from the usb mouse only from the synaptics keypad so that's obviously
not working.

Back to that later.  Lets get the sound first.

have now compiled everything "soundy" as modules.
Located the alsa howto on the gentoo site and followed it through. had
some problems with alsaconf not finding my sound card properly came up
as snd-***Error something or other in some .c file.

changed that to snd-ali5451 as this is the driver from lspci.

did the rest but still no sound.  Bugger!!

dmesg still states no sound cards found. Any ideas?
but does state some kobject_register failed for snd-**** (-17)

where ** is each of my sound modules in turn

would have attached my kernel config and my dmesg output but apparently
none of my usb stuff is working as I don't have access to my usb pen
drive anymore.

Never mind, gonna switch to debian or FC4.   might come back to gentoo
on my main pc.  Less problems with a proper PC laptops, gentoo and me
still not compatible

Cheers

Kris