[SWLUG] Newbie alert!

Glenn Booth d.glenn.booth at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 19:30:54 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Monday 15 Aug 2005 18:48, you wrote:

> What's your goal? To learn a lot about Linux, or to have
> qualifications? The RHCE qualification is more thorough than most
> (any?) other, but there are two disadvantages: 1, it's quite
> expensive and 2, it's all Red Hat... (I do a lot of work on RH
> systems, but I'm consistently and comprehensively failing to fall in
> love with RH).

Both - primarily, I want to learn Linux (properly - I'd prefer if it was
vendor neutral), but having gone this far down the road of being a
tech support professional, I'd like to get  something to show for it.
One day soon I'll need a job again...

I've been using Linux on and off since Slackware was a 13 diskette
download from FidoNet, but I've never really got to the nuts n bolts. I
keep picking it up, then putting it down again for various reasons.
It's time I got some of it to 'stick in my brain' for longer than it
takes to solve a customer's problem.

I've looked hard at the RedHat training, but 1) I really need something
online, as I'm being a "full time dad" at the moment and 2) as you say,
it's quite expensive. As far as I can tell from the RedHat site, only
parts of the certifications are available for online learning. Did I
get that wrong? CBT direct called me earlier today - their stuff sounds
okay, but it was a definite 'hard sell'. I'd like some objective
opinions about which companies do it well (preferably with some real
system use involved, a la RedHat).

Thanks for the warm welcome, by the way!

Best regards,

Glenn.