[SWLUG] Newbie alert!

steve at nexusuk.org steve at nexusuk.org
Tue Aug 16 08:53:15 UTC 2005

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005, Keith Edmunds wrote:

> In terms of learning Linux you could do worse than either setting up LFS
> (Linux From Scratch) or installing Gentoo by hand. Gentoo now has a beta

Talk about being thrown in at the deep end! :)

> In brief: get the experience followed by the qualifications. For what it's
> worth, I have no Linux (paper) qualifications at all, but I make a living
> working solely on Linux (well, Windows to a Samba server sometimes). It can
> be done.

Yep, I think I'd agree with this - you _may_ be able to get qualifications
without a lot of experience first, but the chances are you'll be a lot
more use to an employer (and yourself!) if you get the experience first.
And I, too, have no Linux qualifications, but having used it on a daily
basis for the past 8 years (and pretty much exclusively for the past 5) I
am certainly employable - afterall, Intel just gave me a Linux job. :)

(Sadly Intel's policy is to run Windows on all desktops, but I have Cygwin
and eXceed installed and work almost exclusively on Linux over X and SSH)

--

  - Steve    XMPP/Jabber: steve at nexusuk.org    Web: http://www.nexusuk.org/