[SWLUG] Newbie alert!

steve at nexusuk.org steve at nexusuk.org
Tue Aug 16 13:21:43 UTC 2005

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005, Plod wrote:

> into Linux.  The difficulty is that I have absolutely no computer literacy
> beyond my status as a user.  Probably 70% of the postings on here sail right

I for one would be very interested to hear, from the "know nothing" point
of view, what problems you had - those of us who have been using Linux for
some time don't really notice the potential problems that a newbie would
have and usually see the modern GUI tools as pretty intuitive so I think
the views of someone who is not computer literate, but has had to work
through the current tools, would be enlightening.

> over my head.  I have read and reread loads of how to Linux books, googled
> until I am blue in the face, and still am bamboozled.

Google is a strange one - some times the answer you're looking for pops
right up immediately and other times you can google for hours (and then
someone else will come along and type in a slightly different phrase into
google and the answer is right there :)

> Would the group consider a "tutored installation and set up" day somewhere.

I think if you're going to do a "tutored install" day you want to know
_what_ you want to set up in advance (i.e. what distributions you want to
install, what you want to use them for, what services you want to
configure, etc.).  Also, from a learning perspective, you learn more if
you do the install and setup yourself with the experts there to lend a
hand if/when it all goes wrong :).

> not even know how to "explore" my folders and files, ( a la Windows
> Explorer.)

I'm afraid I can't help you there - I've always found the command-line far
quicker and easier than a graphical file manager.

> For some reason my machine calls itself "cpc2-cdif6-4-0-cust... Etc"  How do

Not sure what to do in the GUI, but the host name is stored in
the "HOSTNAME" variable in /etc/sysconfig/network under Fedora (and so
probably the same under Mandrake) - sounds like you don't have one set so
it's using DNS to set one itself.

> I change that?  Also I have to reboot the machine every morning as I wake to
> find that all of the RAM is in use, apparently by Nautilus, but when I try
> and run Nautilus nothing happens.  ER?

Don't get me started on Nautilus - it seemed quite memory hungry when I
last looked (but I gather it has improved now).  That said, how are you
checking that "all the RAM is in use"?  If you're just looking at the free
memory in "top" or something then that would explain it since Linux will
use your free memory to speed things up (by caching data) so most will
always appear to be in use - the kernel relinquishes such memory as other
programs ask for it so nothing to worry about.

Also, you need to be careful at determining how much memory a process it
using.  In "top" there are 2 columns - RSS and SIZE.  RSS is the amount of
real memory in use, SIZE is the amount of virtual memory.  The thing to be
careful of is that both RSS and SIZE will include memory that's being
shared with other processes and more importantly, SIZE can include the
contents of open files on the disk, etc.  so often, when you're looking at
the amount of memory a process is using, you're often including things
which you wouldn't necessarilly usually consider "memory".

> there to give the lessons.  Bottom line is that I want to use Linux for more
> than I do at present but I lack the basic knowledge and confidence to start
> messing with it.  When I started in windows I had a couple of friends that

If you have a spare computer, so you're not using it as your main machine,
this is beneficial - because you can use it as a "disposable" system.
I.e. not fear destroying it because if you break it you just have to
reinstall.

--

  - Steve    XMPP/Jabber: steve at nexusuk.org    Web: http://www.nexusuk.org/