[SWLUG] Re: Newbie alert!

Tony Pursell ajp at princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk
Tue Aug 16 21:44:45 UTC 2005

On 16 Aug 2005 at 20:38, Glenn Booth wrote:

> I'm spending more time at the Linux machine

So am I, but only because I discovered Ubuntu.  Apart from a spell with
Slackware (strictly command-line, no X, so I could do things at home
that I was doing on Unix machines at work) in the mid 90's, I tried
straight Debian a while ago.  That was a struggle. Problems with X.
Problems with getting the NIC working (how are you supposed to know
that a Netgear card needs a natsemi driver). Never got sound working.
So I never trusted it.  But Ubuntu worked virtually out of the box.
Personally, I think we need this sort of product for newbies. Their first
install should not be a struggle.  They can go on and do Samba, etc
with confidence later when they have really got the Linux bug.

Tony Pursell