[SWLUG] URPMI woes

Glenn Booth d.glenn.booth at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 21:28:55 UTC 2005

Hi,

On 18/08/05, bascule <asura at theexcession.co.uk> wrote:
> hmm, i totally disclaim the word expert but urpmi should work in 10.1, have
> you checked that the other tools work, urpmq and urpmf?

Now you mention it, none of it seems to work, at least not properly.
I tried to use RPMDrake to add an FTP mirror (warwick.ac.uk). It let
me go through the motions, then gives me a download window and
an hourglass that never goes away, titled "please wait, updating
media". Closing the application results in a very Windows like
"Window with title RPMDrake is not responding" message.

> presumably you are running it as root or sudo'ed? though that message is not
> what you get when you run without privileges.

I was running it as root.

> ftr i have the .LOCK and .RPMLOCK present in /var/lib/urpmi/ even when the
> database isn't locked are they the files you meant?

Yes. Some posts on linuxanswers led me to believe that sometimes those
lock files get left behind when something goes wrong. I have deleted them,
but it didn't seem to make a difference.

> since urpmi is a frontend for rpm perhaps you have lockfiles in /var/lib/rpm/?
> look for file of the form __db*

I don't see any filenames like that, but I do have a file named RPMLOCK,
which might be a culprit? I'll try deleting it, just for fun :-)

Thanks for the pointers.

Regards,

Glenn.