[SWLUG] Lightning Talks

Geraint Edwards gedge-lists at yadn.org
Tue Aug 23 14:12:11 UTC 2005

Ysgrifennodd Justin <justin at discordia.org.uk> said
		(on Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 04:07:16PM +0100):
> Some of these rooms have a large conference table, with whiteboard and
> projector facilities, so would be great for more organised debate /
> talks. Although there would be no refreshments directly available, the
> pub (and campus bars in term time) are only a few minutes away
> afterwards.

This is a great idea - and what I expected a LUG would be doing,
albeit infrequently.  I'm happy to do my part (for what it's
worth): giving talks - lightning or otherwise.

I am familiar with giving talks on
	- DNS/BIND
	- perl (my scripting language of choice)
	- regular expressions
		(used in perl/grep/sed/awk/vi/php/java/etc/etc)
	- CGI programming (old-style(?) web server-side hacking)
	- shell programming (Bourne, bash, ksh, zsh)
	- exim
to upto 30 people at a time.  I've also given talks to people of
all abilities (not at the same time, mind!).  I'm used to 2-3hrs
at a time, though, for most of those - so I might over-run 5minutes.
Bring popcorn (to throw at me when the 5mins are up).  :)

My all-time-most-used app is probably screen.  I'd be happy to
give 5+mins talking through that, too.

My (and I hope not just mine) only requirement in return for
giving a talk is that people provide some feedback - constructive
criticism.  Even if it's only "too techie for me" or "I knew it
all already".  Feedback is always handy if it's constructive, and
no-one is a perfect speaker, so this should help me (us) improve.

Anyone interested in any of the above?  If so, it would be handy
if you could indicate your level of experience, and how long you
want spent on it (5mins... 20mins?).  Drop me a line.

--
Geraint A. Edwards (aka "Gedge")
gedge at yadn.org