[SWLUG] Lightning Talks

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Tue Aug 23 20:15:16 UTC 2005

On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 03:12:11PM +0100 or thereabouts, Geraint Edwards wrote:
> This is a great idea - and what I expected a LUG would be doing,
> albeit infrequently.  I'm happy to do my part (for what it's
> worth): giving talks - lightning or otherwise.

I snipped the topic list, but they sound good topics.

> My all-time-most-used app is probably screen.  I'd be happy to
> give 5+mins talking through that, too.

..but this sounds really great. It's one of those magic apps
that make people go "wow", and it would fit well into a five-minute
trip.

> Anyone interested in any of the above?  If so, it would be handy
> if you could indicate your level of experience, and how long you
> want spent on it (5mins... 20mins?).  Drop me a line.

See above. Screen is nice because you can surprise both new and
old users at once.

Okay, I'll throw mine in. I can endeavour to whizz through

* how to spell your friends' names right with Proper Accents
(if you know people called Siân, Øyvind, André, Günter or Åke,
they may appreciate this). I just typed those characters
straight into vim; it is also possible to just type them into
X applications; GTK and (presumably) Qt have input methods
for them; and if you want Japanese, then I am afraid you are
on your own.. :) But once you know the principles, it is easy.

* make yer own translation of a gettext-using application (also
applies to fixing Horrible Errors in en_GB -- if you are like me
and driven mad by misplaced apostrophes etc) and stick it on your
machine without having to send it to the maintainer and wait for
a new release.

* I can probably do a five-minute intro to DocBook. Compare and
contrast with HTML and/or LaTeX or something.

Telsa