[SWLUG] OT: hardware question re:cpu purchase

steve at nexusuk.org steve at nexusuk.org
Wed Aug 24 22:39:19 UTC 2005

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005, bascule wrote:

> it seems that while i wasn't looking amd have ceased production of their
> athlon xp range, having a k7 motherboard with an xp 2500 i was looking to get
> the best cpu available for the board, thinking that with all the new 64bit
> chips out now that prices would be low enough. however i seem to overshot the
> window! there are the new semprons but i don't see the point, so, has anyone
> come across any suppliers of high end athlon xps (3200 +) recently?
> i've searched online but the couple i found were sold out.

As far as I am aware, the Semperons _are_ Athlon XP processors - AMD
renamed the Athlon XPs a while back and totally confused everyone in the
process.  (So the Semperons should run in an Athlon board - I certainly
had no problems upgrading an Athlon XP 2100+ to a Semperon 2800 in the
same board, although I think I did have to flash the BIOS with a new
version).

--

  - Steve    XMPP/Jabber: steve at nexusuk.org    Web: http://www.nexusuk.org/