[SWLUG] Lightning Talks - Next Swansea Meeting

steve at nexusuk.org steve at nexusuk.org
Fri Aug 26 10:38:11 UTC 2005

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005, Justin wrote:

> i should have said 'an hours worth' ie 12 slots, but we have 2 hours to
> do it in, i am expecting all manner of chaos and delays in our first
> attempt at it ;) but in what i hope will be a fun and relaxed
> atmosphere.

Also in "lurker" mode far away from Swansea, but I'll say a couple of
things:

1. you're going to need an official timekeeper who will warn people when
they have a minute to go (or something) and then actually stops them when
they run over (too much)

2. make sure everyone knows in what order people are going up to do their
talks and what they're going to talk about to remove the "who's next?"
chaos - a list on a whiteboard at the front of the room might be a good
idea so everyone can see it.

3. let the talkers know what equipment is available - probably none for 5
minute talks, but if you do longer talks in the future then stuff like a
video projector, network connection, whatever might be handy if there's
one available so people can show "real-time" examples of stuff.  Also for
longer talks in the future a whiteboard to draw diagrams on might be
handy.

4. Q&A time - you said discussions were going to be in the pub afterwards,
but is it worth having a dedicated 2 minute Q&A time allocated after each
talk too while things are still fresh in everyone's mind?

5. Contingency plans for if the whole session overruns - i.e. speakers
should know that if they get bumped due to lack of time then they'll get
the first sessions next time or something - nothing worse than doing
preparation for something and then for it to be cancelled with no idea
if you'll have chance to do it in the future.

--

  - Steve    XMPP/Jabber: steve at nexusuk.org    Web: http://www.nexusuk.org/