[SWLUG] Backing up took 3 days

Jonathan Wright mail at djnauk.co.uk
Fri Dec 2 10:32:07 UTC 2005

Pete Phillips wrote:
> Have you checked DMA for all your devices ? I have seen DMA turned off
> with Suse in the past (admittedly a few years ago) for some devices
> which Suse seemed unsure if they supported DMA. Without DMA, they ran
> dog slow. You can sort this out in yast2 Hardware/IDE DMA Mode. (this is
> probably unlikely as you would notice your whole system running slowly).

Also - a very high (usually ~99%) CPU load during transfer will point to
this as well. Without DMA the CPU has to do all the work transferring
the data back/fore.

--
  Jonathan Wright
   ~ mail at djnauk.co.uk
   ~ www.djnauk.co.uk
--
  2.6.14-gentoo-r2-djnauk-b1 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2100+
  up 1 day, 19:47, 0 users, load average: 2.16, 1.74, 1.35

                                  ~ Mike Royko, syndicated columnist.