[SWLUG] Backing up took 3 days

Pete Phillips pete at smtl.co.uk
Sun Dec 4 11:11:59 UTC 2005

    James> Turning on the external drive was quite worrying, as its
    James> making a "worn out" sound - it might just be the fan on the
    James> case, but the noise gets louder and quieter every now and
    James> then, and some suspicious sounding buzzing noise keeps
    James> appearing (the external drive is a normal hard drive inside
    James> an external "case caddy"). However now it seems to have
    James> stopped its noises, and just sounds alot quiter than when it
    James> was "healthy".

Just a thought ....

Have you ever run fsck on your ext drive ?  There is a tendency for
users of USB drives to plug them in for backup *after* booting, so they
don't get fsck run automatically on them during the boot process.

Boot into admin mode from your distro boot media, and run:

	fsck /dev/<usb-device-partition>

Where usb-device-partition is the actual device name of your partition.

Depending on your file system, (ext3, reiserfs etc) you may need to add
other options.

Pete