[SWLUG] How to cope with superlarge file

Neil Jones neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Mon Dec 12 19:45:17 UTC 2005

Hi Folks,

Anyone got any ideas on this one.
I am exploring an idea.  One of the possible options involves
downloading a .tar file that is around 300 _Giga_ bytes in size.
Given my resources are currently a home broadband account and
a few 20 Megabyte hard disks this poses certain problems.

One solution I have  come up with is to equip a machine with a couple of
200 GB hard disks and stick it in a co-location centre somewhere. This
is not a cheap option. Especially considering bandwidth costs.

Does anyone else know a better way?

Secondly if I were to download part of the tar file. since it is an
uncompressed medium .I am wondering if I could extract some of the data.
Since I possibly don't need it all and the whole thing may not be a
feasible idea until I see the data.
Does anyone have any experience they can share of looking at bits of tar
files?

Neil Jones
Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk