[Fwd: Re: [SWLUG] How I deal with Bank phishing]

Tony Pursell ajp at princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk
Fri Dec 16 21:44:47 UTC 2005

On 14 Dec 2005 at 20:31, Gareth Bowker wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 06:50:02PM +0000, Neil Jones wrote:
> >
> > Not always. Now may be it my who is. But look at this
> > It tells me that the IP is owned by RIPE but I am running websites
> > on this IP. Granted you can go to RIPE's website IGF it were
> > working. Which it just wasn't when I just tried it.
>
> [snip]
>
> I'm wondering whether your whois client is set up correctly - here's
> the information I get:

I always start with APNIC as it has links to all the other regional
registrys' whois's.  If APNIC tells me a block is 'owned' by RIPE, then I
use the RIPE link to get the real owner from the RIPE whois.

I don't put phishing emails through Spamcop as I don't trust the abuse
contacts it gets not to be in league with the phishers who might have
tracking info in the email that Spamcop can't mung (if that makes sense
:-)

Tony