[SWLUG] Booting Ubuntu

tony ajp at princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk
Tue Feb 1 18:27:43 UTC 2005

Hi Everyone,

I've converted from Debian woody to Ubuntu 4.10 and I've got a booting
problem that I need some help with.  The nub of the problem is that I
have a second HD for Linux which Windows doesn't like (causes it to go
into MS-DOS compatibility mode), so I have to have it disabled in the
BIOS.  This means that GRUB comes up with Error 21 because it can't find
the HD with Linux on it - I presume it can only find it if it's in the
BIOS.  This wasn't a problem with Debian as I always booted from a
floppy.  I need some sort of dual boot facility as there are apps I want
to run in Windows 98.

I had hoped to get true dual booting going with GRUB, but the best I can
do is to have a GRUB boot floppy for Ubuntu and a Windows MBR for
Windows 98 and keep enabling and disabling the second HD in the BIOS on
the way in if I need a change of operating system.

Now here's the thing I need help with.  What I would like is a boot
floppy for Ubuntu, like I had with Debian.  I have run mkboot, but when
I use the floppy it produced I get 'No Operating system'.  Its very
different to the Debian one that was created when I installed Debian.
That was a vfat filesystem with

-r-xr--r--    1 root     root         7060 2002-01-21 01:57 ldlinux.sys
-rwxr--r--    1 root     root       665509 2004-05-08 17:45 linux.bin
-rwxr--r--    1 root     root          563 2004-05-08 17:45 message.txt
-rwxr--r--    1 root     root           84 2004-05-08 17:45 syslinux.cfg

on it.  The floppy made by mkboot for me from Ubuntu was ext2 with

-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           82 2005-02-01 13:16 lilo.conf
drwx------    2 root     root        12288 2005-02-01 13:15 lost+found
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root      1098633 2005-02-01 13:15 vmlinuz

on it.  The lilo.conf containing:

# floppy lilo.conf
	boot = /dev/fd0
	install = boot.b
	map = map
root = /dev/hdb1

I'd be very grateful if anyone point me in the right direction...

Tony