[SWLUG] USB memory with Debian/Stable

Mark Summerfield mark.summerfield at uku.co.uk
Wed Feb 2 18:55:59 UTC 2005

Hi,

I've just bought a usb memory stick. I have two distros on my system,
Debian/Stable and Fedora Core 2. The memory stick works fine with FC2, I
just had to add this line to /etc/fstab:

/dev/sda1  /usb auto    rw,user,noauto 0 0

and I can now do "mount /usb" and "umount /usb" with no problems.

However, I use Debian 99% of the time and so I want to use the usb
memory from Debian. Unfortunately I don't know how to do this. I added
the same line to Debian's /etc/fstab and when I tried mounting /usb I
got the message:

mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/sda1 as a block device
       (maybe `insmod driver'?)

so then I tried insmod (as superuser) but both usb-ohci and usb-storage
complained about unresolved symbols.

Is anyone able to tell me step by step (e.g. in file XXX add lines YYY,
etc.) what I can do to make this work? I am hopeless at sysadmin (as
you've no doubt guessed).

Thanks!

--
Mark.