[SWLUG] USB memory with Debian/Stable

Foeh Mannay foeh.mannay at ntlworld.com
Wed Feb 2 21:49:59 UTC 2005

I seem to remember (and I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong) that
USB support isn't compiled into the kernel that comes with stable.
Perhaps I'm mis-remembering it now as it was a long time ago, and it
took me about 10 kernels to get sound, USB, ADSL, TV card & DMA hard
drive access working simultaneously. You may need to add IDE/SCSI too -
I'm not sure about that though. I know my USB mass storage mounts as
sda1... which I think means it's being SCSI emulated.

Actually that's quite rambly, but in essence I think you probably need
to recompile the kernel.

Foeh