[SWLUG] Linux hosting in South Wales

Peter Prior swlug at nermal.org
Thu Feb 3 16:34:16 UTC 2005

Hello darling.

pbhj wrote:

> So basically Gareth has a reseller account with some hosting company
> based in Hfwest? More probably in this instance has a Debian (or
> freeBSD, based on Diogel logo?) coloco server there. There are a few
> places using writemedia (eg nuqe.net which has a similar dearth of
> info about hosting). Note that writemedia doesn't include SSH access
> in it's list of hosting features. This is usually a high cost extra
> with commercial hosts so a personal connection might be your best bet
> on this price wise. Of course if you go hacking around and get there
> IPs banned you might get a punch on the nose!

Stand up dear, your voice is muffled.

You seem to have got connectivity confused with hosting.

Say for example you get a vserver.. a nice virtual machine you have full
control over.
IIRC:

Debian and Fedora images are available (not sure about the logo thing -
thats like saying microsoft employees slant at 15 degrees because there
logo does.  Diogel being welsh and wales having a dragon might be a
closer bet)
.
I said writemedia provide the CONNECTIVITY.  BT provide connectivity.
Pipex provide connectivity - Diogel owns the servers, which are then
colocated at writemedia.

> Not that that's a problem, but that would explain why diogel doesn't
> mention hosting as one of it's [his] services. After a search of the
> site it appears that it's £20 per month (£240 pa!!!) but I don't know
> if that includes SSH and all. How important is it that the site is
> physically located in Wales?

Naturally, as already stated, with root on a vserver you get full access
to the server.  You can install whatever you want.  Mysql, plone, PHP, etc.

> How much does diogel charge, I might be interested myself.

Maybe you should use the contact link on the site?

> Incidentally if anyone out there is associated with writemedia - your
> web pages need some serious work. Gareth's is quite a nice basic plone
> site though.

I can think of a few other things that need 'serious work'....

> pbhj
>
> PS:
> http://samspade.org/t/whois?a=www.writemedia.net&server=auto&_charset_=UTF-8&btnGo=Whois
> <http://samspade.org/t/whois?a=www.writemedia.net&server=auto&_charset_=UTF-8&btnGo=Whois>
>

> PPS: I'm *not* associated with any of these companies / people; you
> could use www.communimedia.com <http://www.communimedia.com> (which I
> am associated with) but it doesn't meet your requirements and I expect
> it's over priced for your purposes. Pick me! Pick me!!
>
> :0)>

Haven't seen PS and PPS in emails since frames and rotating skulls were
commonplace.

> Sorry I wittered on ... not wanting to offend BTW, HTH.

You didn't.  You just didn't read what people wrote.

Pete