[SWLUG] Mandrake 10.1 + Media Manager

STEPHEN CONSTANTINOU stephanos at writeme.com
Sat Feb 5 16:56:37 UTC 2005

Dear All

I am obeying instructions from NeTraverse about
uninstalling win4lin and installing a Win4Lin-enabled kernel, which
is based on the Mandrake security updates.  To this end I have
downloaded two rpm packages.  I have tried this before and much
went wrong.

I have been reading the manuals that came with Mandrake 10.1.  I
know I could install these packages at the command line
     "rpm -???? package name"
and uninstall at the command line as well
     "rpm -e package name"

The Mandrake Control Centre has a section called Software
Management that allows automatic updates to packages aleady
on my computer.  What I need to know is if the fourth icon, Media
Manager, in this group also allows me to chose an rpm package(s)
downloaded to my computer.  If so what is the advantage of this
over the command line.

Wait to hear

Stephen (Swansea, Wales, UK)