[SWLUG] can anyone help? Installing avi-xmms

Peter Prior swlug at nermal.org
Wed Feb 16 11:21:42 UTC 2005

dan at localhost ~]$ file /usr/bin/gcc
/usr/bin/gcc: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Hitachi SH, version 1 (SYSV),
for GNU/Linux 2.2.15, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped
[dan at localhost ~]$

That would be your problem.. somehow you've installed GCC for the
Hitachi SH processor which according to Gareth Bowker is the processor
used in the dreamcast.
Firstly,  bravo :)
Secondly, you may want to check you install i386 / i586 rpms as I
presume you're running on an intel / amd platform.

Once you have, rerunning file /usr/bin/gcc should give you something like:

pprior at gentoo ~ $ file /usr/bin/gcc
/usr/bin/gcc: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV),
for GNU/Linux 2.4.1, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped
pprior at gentoo ~ $

Note the Intel 80386 bit :)

Pete